Friday, June 8, 2007

8 Women (2002)

Directed by François Ozon. Starring (from left to right) Firmine Richard, Isabelle Huppert, Virginie Ledoyen, Ludivine Sagnier, Danielle Darrieux, Fanny Ardant, Catherine Deneuve, and Emmanuelle Béart.

This is almost certain to be one of my more controversial inclusions, not only because it isn't universally liked but also because many will maintain it's too soon to include this. All I know is that I can't get enough of this movie. To a longtime francophile, seeing this movie was like Christmas morning when you're six years old. I love the cast- Deneuve has been one of my favorite stars for years, and Huppert has lately achieved best-actress-in-the-world status, at least in my opinion (the rest are pretty awesome too). I love the way Ozon blends the film's style, inspired by Douglas Sirk's films, with an Agatha Christie-esque murder mystery and the occasional song, and fiddles with each genre like a mischievous child who loves taking his toys apart to see what makes them run. I also love the film's sense of wicked fun, and its more serious undercurrents. There are films on this list which may be more acceptably great- I know this. But I also know that in the week-and-a-half this played at the local arthouse, I saw it four times, and every time I saw it it got better and better. Which I guess is my way of saying- if you don't like it, get your own damn list.

See also: The Movie Moment: 8 Women (Screengrab)

Review at Epinions.com

No comments: